Friday 8 August 2014

Teaching at Dedham

26th July - 2nd August I find myself once more back at the lovely venue of Dedham Hall. I come here every year for a week and love it. Many of the students are regulars and have become friends now but it is always good to meet new people. This year I had 7 new students.
We get to meet and introduce ourselves over tea & cake at 4pm on the Saturday, then after a bit of unpacking and putting art gear into the studio we meet in the bar for pre dinner drinks. Dinner is a three course meal of a very high standard. After which we convene in the studio where I run through the proposed programme for the week. Nothing is set in stone at Dedham as it depends on the weather and the mix of students.

Brook Street, Dedham. Oil demo on first evening


Sunday is spent in the grounds for two reasons, one, it is very busy in the area on a Sunday and two, it is useful for me to see what medium everyone is working in, to see the equipment they have and where they may need help.
I gave a watercolour demonstration in the garden and a few decided to try the same subject

Greenhouse watercolour demo

I chose to stay in the immediate area on the Monday too as I wanted to work in the studio with a couple of the group that needed a bit more guidance before we went out . First task was to make a grid colour chart to show different mixes of a limited pallet. I set the challenge of only working with three colours for those that wanted to try. The results were very good and people were surprised the range of colours they could mix.

Tuesday we went to Pin Mill, a favorite spot with many artists. I got there early and was able to do a quick painting before people were set up

The Butt & Oyster, Pin Mill 12" x !0" oil on board


In the evening after dinner I gave a couple of demos on putting people into a painting and how to paint boats

drawing boats & adding tone to give form


Figures and shadows in a painting



On Wednesday we went to the river. It is a half day for me so I always nip off to get some of my own painting in. In the evening we eat in the main restaurant unfortunately not all the group were eating with us as some had family nearby.

Wednesday evening meeting for drinks





Watercolour demo on reflections


Rowing boats for hire


Thursday we took off for Woodbridge. It was an extremely hot day and some chose to stay in the studio so I split my day. I did manage to paint this quickly in-between helping those that came before I went back to the studio.

Woodbridge

During the week I like to cover oil, watercolour and acrylic. Here is a demo using the Atelier Interactive acrylics

Limited pallet, acrylics. 10" x 14"



Friday we stayed close to base as people wanted to finish off work started earlier in the week. The studio was cleared by 4pm so that i could set up the final exhibition. Jim & Wendy come over at 6.30 with drinks and nibbles. After supper we have a last gathering in the studio and i give each person a critique 





Yet again it was a brilliant week and I'm already looking forward to a return visit next year








No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.