Wednesday 23 November 2016

Painting in the Algarve

In October I was thrilled to be invited to paint in the Algarve by my Dutch artist friend Willamine
She had invited a lot of the crowd that painted annually at Holt Hall together for 15 years. Her villa I have to say is amazing and was able to accommodate 10 of us. I picked up a car at Faro airport and and with Felicity navigating, off we went. It brought back fond memories of driving round France, painting with Felicity. Thelma and Louise came to mind.
Ted & Corry Kooy had already arrived and welcomed us. Our hostess had gone to the airport to meet Tom & Mary Coates. Paul, Rick & James were making their own way in a hire car.

The first day was glorious and we all decided to paint around the villa. I was drawn to this little corner

Sunny Corner 12" x 10" oil on board


Agapanthus 12" x 10" oil on board


In the afternoon I moved round to paint the tree from the other side. It was the shadows that were the big draw on this one but I couldn't resist putting Felicity in the picture.

The Red Costume 12" x 10" oil on board

The next day after a trip to a fish market to shop for supper we headed for the fishing village of Formosa, near Tavira. So much to paint. I settled for this boat which was having an overhaul.

A Lick of Paint 12" x 10"

                          The boat behind also made a good subject so I moved on to that next

High & Dry 12" x 10" oil on board

We spent a couple of days painting in Tavira, well, we did get slightly sidetracked by the wonderful shops but managed quite a few paintings as well, here are a couple.

Tavira 10"x 8" oil on board


Tavira 12" x 10" oil on board

I think one of my favourite places to paint was Fuseta. It had everything including a beach. Unfortunately the day I went back to paint the beach, it was drizzling and very windy.

Fishing Boats 10" x 12"


Low Tide Fuseta 12" x 10"


Boat Yard, Fuseta 10" x 12"

It was a wonderful trip and I came home with a stash of 20+ oil paintings. We rounded off our trip on the last night with a meal out in Formosa, unfortunately it was raining but it didn't dampen our fun. Paul Banning gave a great performance of 'Singing in the Rain' much to the amusement of all.
Here we are - the Jolly Painters. Paul Banning Willemine Kellermann. Mo, Mary Jackson, Ted Cooy, Rick Holmes, Felicity House, Corry Kooy, Tom Coates, Maya and James Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.