Wednesday 5 July 2017

Portugal

I have been rather neglectful of my blog of late. Life has a way of filling your days, just when you hope to start taking things a bit easier.
I intend filling a few gaps of my activities over the next few posts.
so, to start.

Way back in April I was lucky enough to travel to Portugal as the guest of David Bachmann with 11 fellow artists. The weather was very kind to us and we went out every day to various locations in the Algarve.
From left around the table, Tony Dakin, David Pilgrim, Karl Terry, John Stillman, Andrew Roberts, David Bachmann, Me, Haidee-Jo Summers, Valerie Poirlot, Tim King and (still painting) Michael Richardson


Morning Light 8" x 10"

Ponte do Piedade

We were quite high up painting this but it gave a great perspective with the tiny figures

Lagos - It did rain whilst painting this but we all persevered in true plein air spirit

            As you can see there were lots of stacks in the water which I found fascinating to paint.
Arrifana 

Praia da Cordoama

Praia da Cordoama  

We were very lucky to have an exceptional cook for the week. Li prepared some wonderful meals. One day on getting back to the villa, she had just prepped the fish for the evening meal. Two enormous sea bass. I asked how long before she put them in the oven - we were given 40 minutes - easels were up and brushes flew and this was the end result
Supper 8" x 10"
Li loved it so much I gave it to her. I haven't painted fish much before but now I always eye up the fish counter when I walk by looking for a likely subject.

It was a great week in great company. The work produced was astounding, not only in volume but in quality as well. We decided as a group to exhibit our work and have now booked a venue in London for 2018 - watch this space!!  We will shortly have our own web site britishpleinairpainters.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.