Saturday 7 July 2018

Painting In Turkey

Well, I seem to be travelling a lot this year but I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to go painting in Kalkan, Turkey.
Carol Brown, an artist living in Norwich, organises trips for artists and I picked up on this one. I wasn't disappointed. Kalkan was everything I wanted and more.
We stayed at The White House and Courtyard Hotel with our lovely hosts Marion and Halil which I would totally recommend, the rooms, decor, terrace, breakfast were all amazing.

Marion organised some visits for us at nearby locations. We were invited to an exhibition and evening at the Culture House, in Kalkan where we met up with local Turkish artists, some of them joined us throughout the week.
One trip was to the Islamlar fish farm. The view
 was stunning but a bit hot to be out in the sun I did a quick painting

View from the terrace Islamlar


I later found a shady spot and painted some Hydrangeas



On Saturday we went to a lovely hotel owned by Anne Louise who provided the most amazing lunch of typical Turkish food, I found shade in the Olive grove and painted these two pictures.




In the afternoon we set off in a trailer down to Patara village where there was an exhibition of local artists work. There was a view at the back of the cafe that took my fancy and although I didn't have long I set up and managed this in ½ an hour, I would like to work up a larger version from it at some stage .

Patara Village

Another rather bouncy trip on the trailer took us took us to the beach which offers fabulous sunsets. There was no time to paint so took these photos. What an amazing place, I NEED to go back there.



The next day was a boat trip, very nice but no chance to paint.
The beach at Karadere made up for that the following day. Unfortunately it was incredibly windy although it must have been 30c plus.

I weighted my easel and painted two before I had to take shelter in the shade and enjoy a delicious fish lunch (with a beer of course)

10cm x 20cm Karadere Beach


32cm x36cm Karadere Beach

We did have some free time to paint in the town and harbour, I could have done with more time there, I have to say, the shops were a bit of a distraction but did buy some rather nice bits and bobs (all in name of art you understand)

Kalkan Bay 20cm x 25cm




Kalkan Bay 20cm x 25cm





Fishing Boats, Kalkan, 20cm x 25cm


We were a mixed bunch of artists and friends but all were jolly good fun, I especially admired the spirit of 91 year old Val who came out painting with us every day.

Val Painting, 20cm x 25cm

At the end of the week Marion & Halil hosted an exhibition of our work along with some of the local artists. A wonderful evening rounded off with a great meal at local restaurant Isos.

Fatos, Carol Brown, Turkish artist that judged the paintings and prize winner Jenny,   


Me and my new found friend Rose Shuttleworth, an artist living in Turkey


Exhibition Evening


I think there is a strong possibility that I will be taking a painting group there myself next year - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.