Saturday 14 August 2021

 

News From Mulberry House, Garden & Studio


August Newsletter

Well I have to say July was a month to remember or maybe forget.

Disappointingly I had to postpone my course in Harwich as I had only just broken my right arm and it was too painful to travel.  

Two weeks later I did manage to run a very successful painting course for Big Sky Art in Norfolk staying at the White House, Burnham Market. I had a really lovely group and was even able to manage a couple of left-handed demonstrations.

I did promise you last month that I would show you any paintings that I managed to do with my left hand I will post these below.

Some of you may know, I have been coordinating the next exhibition for British Plein-Air Painters. We had got the smaller North Gallery booked at the Mall. Whilst standing at Brancaster Staithe painting with my group, I had a phone call from the Mall to say that the proposed exhibition in the main gallery had pulled out and they offered us the chance to have the main gallery. I had to make a snap decision on behalf of the group and so I said "yes" - then the reality set in, my goodness what a big space to fill. I’m sure we can do it we have some excellent artists in the group.





Mulberry House & Garden


Very little has happened since breaking my arm. I could almost weep when I walk down the garden. With recent rain and warm weather, the weeds have gone crazy, some of the dahlias which I hadn't got around to staking have fallen, the lily beetles have had a field day, most of the apricots dropped off in the heavy rain and the plum tree seems to have some kind of fungus.
Frank has been going into work as we are starting to get bulbs in now at Gee Tee so he hasn't had time to help.  I did try to to pull a few weeds out with just my left hand but had to give that up when I put my back out!!
It's a bit disheartening after all the hard work we put in at the beginning of the year
Anyone know a good gardener??

On the upside, we've had a brilliant crop of French & Runner beans and the tomatoes are beginning to ripen.

weeds are taller than the flowers


Studio


I was delighted with my one off Open Studio Norfolk weekend, I had a constant flow of visitors, friends, followers and buyers. Thank you every one that came to see me.

I shall be taking part in the wider Norfolk Open Studios in September & October
You can see who is taking part here
I shall give more information nearer the time.


 studio clearance                                                   one happy buyer & artist




IEA Painting Day


On 29th July I was picked up by fellow member of the Institute of East Anglian Artists, Jim Power, to take part in a Painting Day at King's Lynn.
I optimistically took my paints and decided to give it a go. This was my first attempt at painting left handed
room for improvement?

There was a very good turn out and the predicted rain stayed away until the very end of the day, mind you it was very windy on the quay sideband I had to use my body to stop easel blowing over as I couldn't hold it

   chatting with Ian McManus                                     enjoying a midday coffee



Big Sky Art

I have just returned from a wonderful week in Norfolk running a painting course at the White House.
I had a group of 15 enthusiastic painters.
On the first day we painted within the grounds but after that we went and painted at Brancaster Staithe, Burnham Overy Staithe

I did manage to do a couple of left handed demonstrations and paintings.

A lot of the group have rebooked for next year but there maybe a couple of places left if you are quick
Big Sky Art. Phone +44 (0) 7785 439727


Burnham Overy Staithe                                        Brancaster Staithe
           The White House                                                My bedroom
                                                                            (shower room downstairs)


I was very pleased that I managed to get special permission to paint in and around the grounds at Wiveton Hall. There is a wealth of subjects everywhere you look. The group were very pleased to meet Desmond from TV's 'Normal for Norfolk' fame and yes, he is as mad as he came over on the television.
We had the most marvellous lunch there which I had preordered. 

the wonderful Wiveton Hall




Exhibition at the Mall


Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be organising let alone exhibiting at the Mall Galleries in London.
(I've had the odd painting accepted and hung in some of the major shows but this is much more)

I count myself very fortunate to be part of a wonderful group that we call the British Plein Air Painters.

After painting with a group of friends in Portugal in 2017 we decided to have an exhibition together. As there were only 10 of us we decided to invite some of our friends to join us and had our first exhibition was in 2018 at the Menier Gallery.  

Following the success of our first exhibition, we booked the North Gallery at the Mall for our second London show. I volunteered to coordinate the show with the help of some of the members. This I can tell you sounds easier than it is but we won't go there.

While I was painting with my group in Brancaster I had a surprise phone call from the Mall, they told me that the exhibitors that were going to be in the main gallery had pulled out and they offered us the chance to use that space. I made a quick decision on behalf of the group and said 'yes,  we would take it'.
I then realised the enormity of filling such a huge space and all the other problems that go along with it.

We are very excited about it and it promises to be an excellent exhibition. I do hope you are able to come along, there will members there each day and we hope to have demonstrations each day too.

As part of our promotion for the show I have organised painting days around the country where we can hand out flyers.
The next painting day is in Oxford this weekend 14th August followed by one in Kensington Gardens on 23nd. 
All the details can be found on our web site British Plein Air Painters
These painting days are free and open to any one who cares to come along and paint in the company of like minded artists.





Left handed demo

                                          10" x 16" Weybourne

I was particularly pleased with this studio demonstration. I am offering it, unframed, at the special price of £190 including free P&P
Drop me an email if you are interested

Thank you for your support, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully by the time I write  next time, things will be back to normal, well, as normal as they'll ever be. I'm looking forward to being able to drive again.
One thing is for sure - ambidextrous , I am not.

take care and best wishes

Mo xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.