Thursday 9 April 2020

Artist in lockdown

 Now wouldn't you think that now we are confined to our homes, that I would have all the time in the world to paint? Nope!! I seem to be constantly busy and, to be perfectly honest, very happy about it.
I'm being very resourceful and creating meals from things in the store cupboard, making my own bread, using flour from the windmill next door, making pasta with special flour I have in my larder (ok, so the flour there is a bit out of date) and making lots of cakes. I must say too that I am definitely giving the scales a wide berth at the moment.
We are also very busy in the garden having lost three rather large conifer trees. This has opened up a whole new area of the garden. I will do a separate post on that later.

So, painting, yes, I must do more.
I needed a bit of motivation so I signed up to an online challenge set by Roos Schuring, a dutch artist. The challenge is to paint 20 flower paintings in 30 days. There is so much coming into flower in our garden right now that I thought I'd give it a go. Because of course, once you publicly commit you feel obliged to carry it through.


Narcissus 'Mondragon'

Day 1
This was the first effort, I enjoyed painting the flower and thought it needed a dark background to make it stand out. On reflection maybe a complimentary colour would have worked just as well.

Contre Jour




Day 2
This second painting in the studio was set so that the sun was behind the subject. I was trying to capture 'that' light. Still not happy with the background. I feel there is not enough colour in the picture.


Narcissus 'Geranium' and paint tube

Day 3
This one I was more pleased with. I wanted to make it not just about the flowers  but also to part of the studio so, I included a tube of paint used in the picture and my turps container. The tube echoes the colours in the flowers.


Yellow & White Daffodils

Day 4
Here I set myself a strict time limit (40 minutes) I wanted to make sure I didn't fiddle. My aim was for pure colour, complimentary background and soft edges. On the whole, I am quite pleased with the result.

If you want to see more paintings in the Roos Schuring challenge you can head over to Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/30days20/

I will be back with a update in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and am open to positive criticism.